To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

Our library offers electronic book rental through Sunflower, Kansas main library, and the Hoopla app. Contact the librarian for more information.

Does the Library have story time for children?

We do offer "Toddler Time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

City Office

What hours is the city office open?

The City Office is open Monday-Friday 8am-1pm.

What is the city office phone number?


What is the city office email address?

Our email address is almena@ruraltel.net


City Council

When are city council meetings?

City council meetings are on the first Monday of every month. View our calendar of events for more detailed information.

City Council Meetings

How can I be added to the agenda for the next city council meeting?

To request to be added to the agenda for the next city council meeting please call or stop by the city office at 785-669-2425 during office hours Monday-Friday 8AM-1PM.

What if I can't attend the next city council meeting?

If you have a topic you'd like to be discussed at a city council meeting, you may bring your request in letter format to the city office (or drop in the book drop on the outside of the building) to be presented at the next meeting.

Can I voice a complaint at the next meeting?

It is highly recommended if you have a complaint, to file a formal notice with the city office and/or ask to be placed on the agenda before a city council meeting.

A complaint form is available for download and print on this webpage. You may drop it off at the city office during office hours or in the drop box on the outside of the building.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to the city office.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Animal Services

Do I need to register my pets?

Yes, pet registration runs from January 1 - December 31 of each year. All dogs that reside with in city limits must be registered annually. Upon registration, proof of rabies vaccination must be provided. If you are unable to come into the city office during open hours, you may print the forms from this webpage. If you can't print documents, please call or e-mail and request forms be mailed to you. Dog tags will then be mailed to your residence for your convenience.

Is rabies vaccination required in Almena?

Per City of Almena Code of Ordinances section 2-204, "It shall be unlawful for the owner of any dog kept within the city to fail to display a current certificate of immunization against rabies issued by an accredited veterinarian evidencing the vaccination of such dog within two years, when requested by the Animal Control Officer or any law enforcement officer."

Who do I call if an animal is at large?

If the animal is at large during office hours, call the City Office at 785-669-2425.
If the office is closed, please call the city cell at 785-669-7039.

How do I file a complaint about an animal?

You may print the form below and drop it in the city drop box or you can stop by during office hours and fill out a formal complaint.

Fire Department

Can I become a volunteer firefighter?

Contact Fire Chief Jeff Callaway at 785-877-7200 for information on joining the local fire department.

Trash & Recycling

When is trash/recycling pick up?

Regular trash and recycles pick up day is Tuesday. Have items to the cubside by 8am.

Does Almena have a City-Wide Clean Up?

Almena participates in the county-wide clean up, which generally occurs each spring in April. Check our Calendar of Events for details as we receive them.

Do lawn clippings, leaves, and yard waste get picked up?

Yard debris does not get picked up with regular trash. There is a compost pile available for residents to take their yard waste (branches, sticks, leaves, grass, etc). Call 785-669-2425 for more information or directions to the compost pile.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.


Who do I contact for gas utilities?

Residents in the Almena Area utilize Midwest Energy for gas utilities. Visit our Gas & Electric page for more information.

Who do I contact for electric utilities?

Residents in the Almena area utilize Prairieland Electric for electricity needs. See our Gas & Electric page for more details.

Who do I contact about trash & recycling?

The City of Almena provides services for trash & recycling. Fore more information, visit our Trash & Recycling page.

Who do I contact about water and sewer utilities?

The City of Almena provides services for water and sewer utilities. Please visit our Water Utilities page for more information.

Can I have a pet within city limits?

Yes. Pet registration is required annually at the Almena city office. Registration runs from January 1 and expires December 31. Up-to-date rabies vaccines are required for all dogs within city limits.

Are there any homes or lots/land for sale in your area?

Listed below are a few realty companies that serve our area. You also may call the city office to inquire about any homes for sale in Almena.

Kansasland Realty
Weiser Realty

Are there any homes for rent in Almena?

Contact the city office for information on landlords to call for rental availability.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located on the "Subscribe" page.  Fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Almena. Elections are held in the Almena Community Building. Check our Calendar of Events for any upcoming elections.