Animal Services

The City of Almena provides the following assistance to residents and is dedicated to helping protect the health, safety and welfare of both people and animals in our community.

  • Responding to stray animal complaints
  • Investigating dangerous animals
  • Impoundments
  • Barking dog complaints
  • Carcass removal
  • Ordinance enforcement

Contact Info

City of Almena
City Office

Chandler Schnuerle
City Operator

All Creatures Vet Clinic
Local Veterinarian
5761 Rd E12
Visit Website

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to register my pets?

Dogs are registered in Almena, but not cats. The registration fee is based on the expiration date of the rabies vaccine and if the dog has been spayed or neutered. To register your dog, bring in a completed registration form, appropriate fees, and proof of rabies vaccination. If it's more convienent, you can simply drop it in the mail, or use the Library book drop. The City of Almena allows a maximum of 3 dogs per household. There is a link at the bottom of this page with the registration form and fees schedules.

Is rabies vaccination required in Almena?

Per City of Almena Code of Ordinances section 2-204, "It shall be unlawful for the owner of any dog kept within the city to fail to display a current certificate of immunization against rabies issued by an accredited veterinarian evidencing the vaccination of such dog within two years, when requested by the Animal Control Officer or any law enforcement officer."

Who do I call if an animal is at large?

If the animal is at large during office hours, call the City Office at 785-669-2425.
If the office is closed, please call the city cell at 785-669-7039.

How do I file a complaint about an animal?

You may print the form below and drop it in the city drop box or you can stop by during office hours and fill out a formal complaint.